This task group participates in the definition of the IdA’s research policy together with the Advisory Committee and insures its implementation.
In cooperation with regional clusters and network experts (add link), it evaluates applications for IdA annual calls to support the doctoral research and scientific events.
It suggests every year to the Advisory Committee a dissertation prize awarded by the Institute of the Americas testifying of the network support to doctoral training which is a central element of the IdA’s policy. Thus, the Research task group participates to the awarding of PhD contracts marked “Institute of the Americas”.
The IdA contributes to the spread of French scientific research through the publishing partnerships with Armand Colin and Rennes University Press, as well as through the publication of the four-language online journal, IdeAs.
Fields of research
The IdA’s research policy is organized around three main disciplinary fields and twelve themes of scientific research:
Politics and society
• Population, spatial mobility and gender relations
• Political, institutional and legal affairs
• Comparative urban dynamics
• Violence, armies and security
History and cultures
• Anthropology, mestizaje (ethnic mixity) and multiculturalism
• Literatures of the Americas
• Media and cultural industries
• Comparative history
International relations and economy
• Regional integrations
• Geopolitics of natural resources and the environment
• American diplomacy in the Atlantic triangle
• International political economy and development
Link to the IdA’s scientific program.